Tuesday, August 14, 2007

a lesson in weaving...

my brother - petumyanon yos yos - taught me how to weave - well, first my nephew Poop (lol yeah...we're pretty big into the nickname game here at home) taught me one saturday morning while everyone was sleeping...i'll never forget that day, i'd had a rough weekend...issues better left alone today and was feeling all raw and hurt and broken...Poop came out of his room and started working on his weaving project. i asked him "whatcha doin' Poop?" and he chuckled and gave me a hug "oh tautsmaywee Auntie" and then he showed me how to weave...that was lesson number one...

when i came home, my brother would go down to Cuzints house and give weaving lessons twice a week sometimes...i would go there and listen but got into watching Cuzint and listening to his incredible moments shared over cutting and measuring twine and yarn...my brother is so patient...he never failed to give encouragement "yay niecey that's really GOOD" and "well, let's just fix this a little bit" (that of course was with mine which seemed to always be a little bit wobbly looking).

i never could grasp the concept of changing colors until one day it just WORKED - OMG!!!! YAY!!!! i learned that you don't necessarily use colors that "match" per se and you DO use colors that you feel right about...i learned that the story of your weaving will show itself and each piece done with your heart is beautiful...i learned that the weft (twine) isn't supposed to show but where would a weaving be without it? a ball of yarn...

sometimes i wonder if i am the weft...and if i am, then happy and honored i should be to be covered with brightly colored richly storied yarn... I want to be resilient and sturdy and worthy of my role...

if not then OH HOW I HOPE to be purple and yellow and red and sometimes turquoise!!!!

ya know?

No comments: