Monday, April 12, 2010

Now the tears????

Here's my conundrum for the day: For the past few years my son has served in Iraq...Operation Freedom I believe it's called. When sending him off I had the same sadness and fear any mother would have. When I heard about his sorrows over there, the loss of his best friend, the troubles with a neighboring battalion, my mother-hen wanted to go charging over to Iraq and make things right.

For the past years I've been smiling and nodding when asked about him "oh yes, he's in Iraq..."

Today I got the news that he's on a flight back home...he's in a plane on his way and will soon arrive in Washington State where he will "demobilize" for an unstipulated amount of time...

I can't stop crying.

I don't know why - it's the silliest thing, really - because now, he's safe and I will soon be able to hug him...and NOW the tears?

WHO WROTE THESE RULES?????

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWE! Yay I am so happy for you and your son!

Charlie said...

What GREAT news! There are no rules about crying, especially when they are tears of happiness.

Alice in Wonderland said...

Oh, Shawna, I am so pleased for you!
It will be great to hug him again, you will most certainly be in tears again! The relief of knowing that he is home safe must be overwhelming!
Big hugs to you, my dear little friend!

Grandma K said...

The tears are tears of relief from a mother. There is a whole set of new rules when you become a mother.

I am so glad he is coming home - and I hope to stay.

BB said...

All i can say is :))))))))