Friday, November 13, 2009

...in the works ANNNNNDD HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!

One of my greatest joys is in the things I see around me. Usually I'm in awe of the splendor - lacy shimmery boughs emerging from lush green of summer through yellow warmth of autumn to cold sparkly winter...that makes me smile...




During the last week's events I was waiting at a bus stop with my brother and we were doing that whole "let off steam by laughing raucously at absolutely nothing" game which I must tell you really relaxes one in the midst of trying times - really. Try it out next time! I noticed a gentleman watching us...you may not have wanted to speak with him but in his eyes I saw such sparkly joy at the inanity of our laughter...I asked him if he minded me taking his picture and he said "of course you can" so I did...

Oh what a SMILE he has!
I thanked him for his picture and we moved on...

When we got home I still had the chores waiting for me...chopping wood and so forth but I spent the majority of the weekend making necklaces. Why? because for some reason that sort of creative outlet brought closure to my bad weeks...really, I do feel better now!
I started this post on Tuesday but didn't finish it - today is Thursday and yesterday was Veteran's Day. Of course where I live this is a time to gather at the longhouse...

First most of the local tribal veteran's gathered at the Veteran's park on our land. Songs of honor and memory are sung and prayers said...then all move to the longhouse where more honoring takes place...this time we recognized one of my nephews who just returned from Iraq. We also recognized our tribal flag and eagle feather which had been sent to Afghanistan with some young men. Of course, because we are American Indians and this is of our culture we ate a meal together...served by the longhouse ladies with love and laughter.

There wasn't enough room the main room for all of us so a few of us cooks and their children ate together in the adjoining room...laughter and fun  at our table was actually at the same level as the room next to us with about four times as many people. My friend brought her children to eat and they kept eyeing the cake you see here...noticing the wonder in their eyes I felt the need to expand on the wonders of this yummy colorful confection and so I started telling the story about how this cake was a Magical Cake and if you wished on the gumdrop with a pure heart your wish would come true...
My friend's children looked at me like "Hm, I don't know if she's crazy or not but she sure does tell a good story - and in the telling of the story they magically finished their meals...which was one of the goals of my story - I used to tell my kids things during dinner and before they knew it they'd eaten their broccoli without once having to complain about the very vegetableness of it!

Next thing we knew, my friend's son had his chicken hat on! She told the story about how this had been his favorite hat for the longest time but that she was pretty sure he hadn't left the house with it. I smiled at him like it was our little secret...you and I both know he'd made his wish on the Magic Cake and it came true!!! He chuckled at me and took a big bite...

Laughter continued to be our theme and we all shared memories of our days...full and happy it was time to clean up after the meal and this time it just went so fast!

After a warm day of love and honoring and good food it was time to go home and that's what we did.
I'm headed off for yet another adventure today...I hope you have good plans this weekend!!!!


4 comments:

Alice in Wonderland said...

LOL!!! I want a piece of that magical cake too! Remember Alice took a bite out of a magic cookie!
Love your tales of the longhouse!
Everyone seems so cheerful and friendly!

BB said...

Now you made me hungry...Can I have some cake, please ?

Ojibwe Confessions said...

Your blog is a pleasure, a pleasure to read. The happiness come through. Thank you for spreading some joy.

Alice in Wonderland said...

Oh, I've just noticed your new template! It's beautiful! I should have noticed sooner, but it's been a pretty hectic week-end!
Big Hugs!