Thursday, May 7, 2009

you might call them weeds...

dandelions Pictures, Images and Photos
blithely walking by, bits of sunshine underfoot...dandelions glory; remember the class? Here's what the books say: Dandelion inflorescences are yellow, up to 2 inches in diameter, and appear to be solitary. They are borne on hollow stems that can grow up to 20 inches long, and held above the foliage. The inflorescences ripen to become round "puffballs" of wind-dispersed seeds. Flowering period is from early spring to late fall.
They fail to mention the dainty curled wisps of sunshine dancing out of the deep yellow strength...nary a word about the bold green hollow stem rising from the hunter green foliage...
Do you wonder sometimes how you could have walked by such a performance without so much as pausing to tip your hat?

In southern Oregon where I spent my youth there were foxgloves in abundance, delicate purple bells inviting bumble bees to feast...
Foxgloves Pictures, Images and Photos

All of this pondering is due to this fact: I am not the judge and jury...if I work with someone I deem "weed" I just need to remember there's SOMEONE out there who thinks of this person as their dandelion or foxglove...or nettle (smile).

Violet Wood Sorrel Pictures, Images and Photos

I find that I love the weeds with their flowers as much, maybe even more than I love garden flowers although I've tried a few times to raise my own little patch of pansies and so forth...

No comments: