Friday, August 15, 2008

stickgamez at home

okay, i've uploaded the picture you see about six times and i can't for the life of me figure out why the color issue but hey...we're OBVIOUSLY having fun there, Mr Man and I...
Stickgame is so amazing...we were asked by Trish to play stickgame for the Community Picnic and of course we said yes, my brother has played since he was quite young and he knows songs from the old OLD days as well as stories that the songs came from...one of my favorite songs is one he talks about learning from Atway Nellie that was brought by the prairie dogs...as the song goes you can just see the little dogs with their cute little paws hiding the bones...there's another song we picked up from a coastal tribe and as you sing it you can almost smell the salty sea air and feel the roll of waves beneath you...
on this day I sang a song we call "Jilly's song" because my daughter Jilly sings it when we get down to very few sticks and it looks kinda bleak - to my surprise and joy our friend Myrna, one of the tribal grandmas joined in with me and her voice was strong and amazing - we got a few sticks from that one!
it's fun to play stickgame and see people walking by - people never fail to smile because our songs are playful and joyous...
okay well, I could talk about stickgame all day so I won't - hope you all have a really fun weekend!

No comments: