Monday, June 23, 2008

DAISY BELL...



Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do
I'm half crazy all for the love of you
It won't be a stylish marriage
I can't afford a carriage
But you'll look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two

It’s actually ONE phrase in a much longer song but that’s the part I like…

The rest is a silly stoopy song written by an English Composer Harry Dacre, who when he immigrated to the US was charged duty for his bicycle. The officer who was letting him in said “well you’re lucky it wasn’t a bicycle built for two that would have cost you double.” Harry had never seen one and he was so taken by the phrase that he wrote an entire song themed in that phrase. This song was later featured in the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey by the computer HAL 9000…

Of course there’s more history to this but I’m just tell you the part I know best:-) hahahahaha I should BLOG this so people know just how MUCH minutiae is captured in the small back cupboards of this mind...and so I am:-)

No comments: